Four of Melbourne's iconic bagel institutions battled it out at Time Out Melbourne's Battle of the Bagel presented by Philadelphia. The stakes were high, and the crowd was hungry for a winner but there could only be one... Introducing Mile End Bagels, who received the coveted title of Melbourne's best bagel with their classic combination of flavours and now you can recreate it yourself!
'The Classic' (makes 4 serves):
- 4 'Everything' bagels
- 250g Philly cream cheese
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 200g smoked salmon (sliced)
- 50g capers
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 1 fresh red onion
- Combine cream cheese, chopped dill tips and capers then whip until smooth and creamy.
- Slice tomato and red onion into thin slices and place the red onion in a bowl with some cold water (this chills out the onion's bitterness).
- Slice and lightly toast your bagel. Spread a generous serve of the herbed cream cheese on both halves.
- Layer two or three thin slices of smoked salmon onto one half.
- Spread three to four tomato slices and three to four red onion rings (drained) on top of the salmon.
- Whack the lid on, press down lightly so it all holds together. Slice in half and get stuck in!