What you need
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup light olive oil
- 1 ½ cups finely grated zucchini
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
- 150g PHILADELPHIA Block Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 3 teaspoons cocoa powder, sifted
How to make it
- PREHEAT the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line a 20 cm round cake tin (if you have a non-stick tin with a removable base, there is no need to line it).
- IN a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and oil. Stir in the zucchini and milk. Sift in the flours, cocoa and baking powder (adding any sifted out wholemeal husks to the bowl) and stir until combined.
- POUR into cake tin and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- TO make the icing, mix together all the icing ingredients until well-combined and smooth. Spread over the top of the cooled cake and serve.
The zucchini in this cake gives it a lovely moistness as well as a great boost (I promise no-one will know it's there). I served it for my son's first birthday, and it was a big hit with the birthday boy and the adults. It is perfect made the day before the party (although best to save the icing until the following morning), which means there is one less thing for you to do on the big day.