What you need
- 60g butter
- 125g PHILADELPHIA Block Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 125g dark cooking chocolate, roughly chopped
- 90g butter, extra
- 2 eggs, extra
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar, extra
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour, extra
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (60g) coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
How to make it
- PREHEAT the oven to 180°C (160°C fan) and grease and base line a shallow 23cm square cake pan.
- USE an electric mixer to cream together the butter and PHILLY Block Cream Cheese. Beat in sugar until mixture is light and fluffy, then add egg and beat thoroughly. Stir in flour and vanilla essence and set aside.
- TO make chocolate mixture, melt chocolate and extra butter in a bowl over a pan of hot water, stirring constantly, then cool. Use an electric mixer to beat extra eggs until thick and creamy, gradually beating in extra sugar while doing so. Sift in the extra flour, baking powder and salt then blend in the cooled chocolate mixture. Stir through the pecans. Measure 1 cup chocolate mixture and set aside.
- SPREAD remaining chocolate mixture in prepared pan. Top with reserved PHILLY mixture then drop spoonfuls of reserved chocolate batter on top. Swirl a knife lightly through batter to make a marbled pattern.
- BAKE in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and leave to cool in pan before cutting into 4-6cm squares.
These have a marvellous fudgy texture; cheesecake with a crispy top, marbled with chocolate and studded with pecans. The mixture is baked in a square then cooled and cut into individual squares. They are great for picnics, as a sweet finish to a barbecue or just with a glass of ice-cold milk at home. They'll go quickly at kids' birthday parties too.