What you need
- 150g PHILADELPHIA Block Cream Cheese, softened
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 size 18 (1.8kg) chicken
- 1 cup (70g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1kg desiree potatoes, unpeeled, cut into wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, extra, unpeeled
How to make it
- PREHEAT oven to 200°C or 180°C fan.
- COMBINE the PHILLY Cream Cheese, 1 tablespoon of oil, mint and crushed garlic in a small bowl. Season to taste. Starting from neck end, gently loosen skin from chicken flesh by pushing your fingers between skin and breast meat.
- SPOON 2 tablespoons of PHILLY mixture under skin, first pushing it over drumstick and thigh, then over breast. Smooth stuffing with your hands to give bird a plump shape.
- COMBINE remaining PHILLY mixture and breadcrumbs and fill chicken cavity.
- PLACE chicken in a large baking dish, drizzle with oil and season to taste. Cook for 40 minutes, basting occasionally. Add potatoes and garlic cloves and bake for a further 40 minutes or until juices run clear. Serve on a platter with potatoes and garlic.
Tip: Wash the chicken inside and out then pat dry with paper towel (dry skin browns and crisps far better than wet skin), then go slowly when it comes to loosening the skin from the flesh.
Not only does carefully slipping something delicious under the skin of a chicken before roasting protect the breast meat during cooking, it also means there's no limit to the flavour opportunities.