What you need
- 1 cup flour
- 125g PHILADELPHIA Block Cream Cheese, chopped
- 75g butter, chopped
- 40g butter, extra
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 5 - 6 Royal Gala apples, peeled and quartered
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1¼ cups thickened cream
- 1 cup milk
- 100g CADBURY White Baking Chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons Calvados or Cognac
How to make it
1. COMBINE the flour, PHILLY and butter in a food processor and process until the mixture just comes together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead to form soft dough. Roll out the pastry, between 2 sheets of baking paper, into a 21cm circle. Chill.
2. SPREAD the extra butter thickly over the base and side of a 20cm non-stick cake pan and sprinkle the sugar evenly over the bottom. Arrange the apples on the sugar, packing them tightly in concentric circles.
3. BAKE in a hot oven 200°C for 25 minutes or until juices are deep golden and bubbling. Increase heat to 220°C, remove pan from oven, lay pastry over the top of apples then bake for a further 20 minutes or until cooked. Stand for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
4. WHISK together the yolks, cornflour and caster sugar in a bowl. Combine the cream and milk in a saucepan and bring just to the boil, then add the egg yolks and whisk until smooth. Return to the saucepan. Stir over a low heat until thickened slightly.
5. REMOVE from the heat and add the chocolate and Calvados. Stir until the chocolate has melted. Slice the tarte and serve drizzled with the Chocolate Custard.
Heavenly hint | If you prefer your custard on the lighter side, try leaving out the chocolate.