What you need
- 1½ cups icing sugar
- 1¼ cups ground almonds
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- Purple food colouring (heat stable)
- 80g CADBURY Milk Chocolate Melts
- 30g unsalted butter
- 100g PHILADELPHIA Original Spreadable Cream Cheese
- ⅓ cup icing sugar, extra, sifted
- ½ cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
How to make it
1. COMBINE the icing sugar and almonds in a food processor and process until superfine. Sift and remove any coarse pieces of almond.
2. BEAT the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Continue beating, gradually adding the sugar, just until dissolved. Add food colouring and mix slowly to combine.
3. STIR one third of the almond mixture into the meringue and then fold in the remaining mixture until just combined. Spoon or pipe 3cm rounds onto paper lined trays, allowing 2-3cm between each for spreading. Use a wet finger to pat down any tips. Stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or until macarons form a light crust.
4. BAKE in a slow oven 150°C for 22-28 minutes or until firm to the touch. Allow to cool completely on trays.
5. COMBINE chocolate and butter in a bowl over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until chocolate has melted. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Beat together the PHILLY and extra icing sugar then beat in the chocolate mixture. Chill until firm enough to spread.
6. TO assemble, spread chocolate filling onto 15 macarons and top with remaining halves, pressing together gently. Carefully roll in pistachio nuts to coat filling. Serve immediately.
Heavenly hint | Use a pencil to mark the underside of the baking paper with 3cm circles. That way, all your macarons will be the same size.